Questions to Ask on Campus Tours
General – freshmen and trends
- What is unique about your institution?
- What’s it like being a student there?
- How large are freshman classes?
- How easy is it for freshmen to get the classes they want?
- How many freshmen return for their sophomore year?
- Are undergraduates considered important on this campus?
- Are you able to study in your dorm room?
- What would you most like to see improve on campus?
- How many students go here?
Academic – standards and staff
- What are the most popular majors? Why?
- What percentage of classes are taught by professors, and what percentage by teaching assistants?
- How accessible are the professors?
- What would you most like to see improve about the college’s academic offerings or standards?
- Do most students graduate in four years? What percentage do not?
- How many graduating seniors found employment upon graduation?
- How many times a year will you see your advisor?
- Is your advisor in your major?
- Do you have career counseling?
- What major corporations interview here?
- What percentage of professors have their doctorate?
- Can you study abroad?
Campus – facilities and services
- Can you access the book stacks in the library?
- Is there an academic support or writing center?
- Are computers readily available for use?
- Are computers readily available around exam time?
- Is there an internship resource center?
- Is there a job recruitment center for students who are graduating?
- What are the on-campus restaurant/cafeteria facilities like?
- What are the opening hours of the restaurants and other campus facilities?
- How good or bad is the food?
- What are the athletic facilities like?
- What facilities or services would they most like to see added on campus?
- When will I not have access to the food services?
- What is the availability of computer help?
Students – habits and practices
- Which type of students are happiest at the college?
- Which students usually succeed there?
- What percentage of students leave campus for the weekend?
- What kind of fraternity and sorority system is there?
- What percentage of the student body becomes involved in these societies?
- Where do students live after their first year: in dormitories, in fraternity/sorority houses, off campus?
- Are the dorms co-ed?
- Are the bathrooms co-ed?